Work integrated learning
University West is Sweden’s leading university when it comes to work integrated learning (WIL). The university was tasked with the development of WIL by the Swedish government 15+ years ago and continues to lead the field today. WIL allows you to focus on problem-based learning for industry, with real projects from partner companies.
Your specialisation in cybersecurity has been built in close collaboration with industry and is founded on the pressing needs of governments and leading companies. Your instructors also have a wealth of industry experience.
Industry professionals will help introduce you to the latest best practices within the cybersecurity landscape. Through guest lectures, company visits and company-proposed topics for degree projects, you’ll gain hands-on experience in designing complete security solutions based on real life case studies. Here, you can discuss your understanding, raise questions and propose ideas to experts in the field – and to potential employers.
A strong job market
The industry demand for professionals in cybersecurity has never been higher:
- Worldwide cybersecurity personnel shortage of 3.12 million by 2021 (The International Information System Security Certification Consortium)
- Worldwide growth of 350% in open cybersecurity positions from 2014 to 2021 (Forbes and Cybersecurity Ventures)
- Countries like Australia, France, Germany, Israel, Japan, Mexico, the UK and the US are reporting a severe shortage of cybersecurity skills and education (McAfee and Center for Strategic and International Studies)
- Sweden will witness a 100% increase in the cybersecurity job market demand compared to 2017 (The Swedish Council for Higher Education)
- The US is on pace to hit a half-million or more unfilled cybersecurity positions by 2021 (Cybersecurity Ventures)
Top programme in cybersecurityYour programme offers a range of benefits not available in comparable programmes:
- Broadest available training in full range of cybersecurity areas such as cyber physical systems security, cyber risk assessment, penetration testing, digital forensics and cloud security
- Multidisciplinary collaboration with Robotics and Automation and the Division of Law, Economics, Statistics and Politics at University West
- Balance of theoretical knowledge with hands-on experience in industry
- Programme content aligned with key international standards, such as the NIST and NICE cybersecurity frameworks and top cybersecurity skills
- Optional participation in courses offering complementary training for additional certifications, such as CCNA cybersecurity “CyberOps” certification
Advanced laboratories and access to experts
As a cybersecurity specialist you will have access to advanced labs and equipment.
Cisco networking lab
- Professional networking equipment in terms of switches, routers, cabling and server racks
- Firewalls to isolate networks for cybersecurity experiments
A virtualisation and VMWare lab
- For cloud security experiments targeting virtual machines, containers and micro services
Industrial robots lab and IoT lab
- Equipment for experiments around cyber physical systems security
You’ll also have access to the PTC, home to University West’s research area Production Technology West (PTW). Here you will have the opportunity to do research together with experienced researchers, engineers and technicians in the field. There are many companies linked to our research environment. As a student, you will have the opportunity to be part of cutting-edge research and come into contact with future employers.
Specialised and personal
University West offers an intimate campus environment without the usual barriers between academic staff and students. Here, your professors are easily accessible to answer questions, hold discussions and provide individual feedback. The teacher-to-student ratio is higher than at most comparable programmes at other universities.
While large universities have many focus areas, University West’s small size and high quality allow us to focus on and dedicate resources to a few prioritised/selected areas. This ensures a high-quality programme as well as a warm and friendly atmosphere.
Students from around the globe come together in your programme to create a unique and international environment. The programme is fully taught in English, and you will study together with students from Sweden as well as international students from countries in Asia, Europe, Africa and North and South America.
Most of your instructors also have international experience in both research and education. This will enhance your cultural experience and English-language proficiency.
Rewarding career in cybersecurity
There is no absolute security. Cyberattacks happen even when good security defences are in place. Cyber threats and hacking techniques are continuously evolving, and the human element also comes into play in causing and handling attacks. You’ll never get bored.
Highly skilled cybersecurity specialists find rewarding work in staying ahead of technology innovations, regulations and an ever-changing risk landscape.