Advanced laboratory and access to experts
As a Manufacturing manufacturing Engineering engineering student, you will have access to the our Production Technology Centre (PTC) during your studies. PTC is one of the largest and newest most up to date manufacturing laboratories in Sweden.
The PTC has been in the field of manufacturing research for over 20 years. This collaborative platform offers a unique collection of manufacturing and related advanced industrial research technologies:
- Welding technologies (tungsten inert gas, metal active gas, robotised welding, etc.)
- World-leading thermal spraying facilities (plasma- and combustion-based spraying guns)
- CNC milling and turning equipment
- Metal additive manufacturing technologies (powder bed fusion techniques such as electron beam melting, directed-energy deposition techniques such as laser metal deposition with wire and powder as well as wire-arc, etc.)
- Measurement and control systems for in situ monitoring and inspection
Most research projects at PTC address metallic materials such as high-strength steels, stainless steels, nickel-based superalloys, aluminium- and titanium-based light materials, metallic and ceramic coatings, high-temperature metals/alloys, biomaterials and nanoengineered materials. PTC is also equipped with advanced materials testing and characterisation laboratories to explore the process-microstructure-properties-performance relationship of the materials.
Testing and characterisation equipment
- Microstructural inspection and microanalysis including optical microscopy and scanning electron microscopy
- Geometrical and surface topography assessment using 3D profilometry
- Phase analysis using X-ray diffractometry
- Mechanical testing including microhardness, tensile, creep and fatigue at room and high temperatures
- Thermomechanical simulation and testing using a Gleeble welding simulator
- Weldability testing using Varestraint (Variable-Restraint) technique
- Wear, corrosion, and electrochemical investigations in various environments at room and high temperatures
- Non-destructive testing using ultrasound, X-ray, infrared camera, and eddy current, etc.
- Machining dynamics measurement and test equipment (rotating and stationary dynamometers, impact hammers, accelerometers, …)
You will be introduced to some of the above equipment during your courses, and you may work with some of them based on the topic of your thesis.
Academic and corporate connections
The PTC is home to University West’s research area Production Technology West (PTW). Here you will have the opportunity to do research and experimental work together with experienced researchers, engineers and technicians in the field. There are many companies linked to our research environment. As a student, you will have the opportunity to be part of cutting-edge research and meet possible future employers.
The Production Technology Center:
Small-scale and personal
University West offers an intimate campus environment without the usual barriers between academic staff and students. Here, your professors are easily accessible to answer questions, hold discussions and provide individual feedback. The teacher-to-student ratio is higher than at most comparable programmes at other universities.
While large universities have several focus areas, University West’s small size and high quality allow us to dedicate focus and resources to a few prioritised/selected areas, such as manufacturing engineering. While large universities have several focus areas, University West’s small size and high quality allow us to dedicate focus and resources to manufacturing engineering. This ensures a high-quality programme as well as a warm and friendly atmosphere.
Experienced staff, advanced research
Most of your professors and instructors are actively involved in research and development in collaboration with industry, both in Sweden and the EU. Your courses integrate this experience to make sure your knowledge of current technologies and planned advancements is complete.
Read more about our department.
Work Integrated Learning
University West is Sweden’s leading university forWork Integrated Learning (WIL). The university was tasked with the development of WIL by the Swedish government in 2002 and continues to lead the field today. WIL allows you to put your knowledge and skills into practice within real-world contexts.
The courses in manufacturing engineering program have been developed in close collaboration with Swedish industry considering the needs of the companies representing the sector. Your courses are taught by instructors that belong to the research group Production Technology West, an internationally recognized research group within the field of manufacturing engineering.
This WIL approach offers you a focus on problem-based learning for industry, with real projects from PTW and partner companies. Your training concludes with a master’s thesis project in industry or academia.
Students from around the globe come together in your programme to create a unique and international environment. The programme is fully taught in English, and you will study together with students from Sweden as well as international students from Europe, Asia and elsewhere. Most of your instructors also have international experience in both research and education. This will enhance your cultural experience and English-language proficiency.
In addition, you will have the option to perform your thesis work at one of our partner companies or universities abroad.
A solid job market
Manufacturing industries make up 10-20% of the economy of developed countries; consequently, there is always a high demand for competent manufacturing engineers. Graduates of the master of manufacturing programmes have been employed in companies such as Volvo Group, Sandvik Materials Technology, GKN Aerospace, Tooltec and many other small and large companies. Some of these students have continued their studies in the PhD level, as in addition to a career in industry, your competence in Manufacturing Engineering will open doors to advanced studies and research both in Sweden and abroad.