The research project SpaceLAB focuses on additive manufacturing (AM) for the space industry, an area that is central to environmental impact and important for the Västra Götaland region's transport industry. Creating economic, environmental and social long-term sustainable development is a prerequisite for long-term growth in the space industry. Additive manufacturing is a key technology for this industry, characterized by intensive R & D and a requirement for technology change to achieve crucial competitive advantages.
The Swedish aerospace industry has been successful for many years, but international competition is increasing through enhanced opportunities for localized production. Therefore, in order to maintain a leading position in the manufacturing industry of transport and space industry, leading world-class technology development and quality is absolutely crucial.
The overall objective of the project is to increase the technology and supply capabilities of the region's SMEs through knowledge transfer, enabling them to deliver to high-tech large companies and become attractive as partners in international projects.
Objectives OF THE PROJECT
- Increase the knowledge in West Sweden about AM and its possible space applications as well as its challenges and opportunities
- Implement four research and development projects in collaboration between academia and industry to deliver technologies for manufacturing of space products
- Strengthen regional cooperation between industry, academia and public actors by establishing a long-term sustainable interoperability structure in additive manufacturing for space applications
- Increase the exchange between space technology and other industrial activities in the region for increased competitiveness and growth
- Increase the participation of West Sweden SMEs in national and European space programs
- Catalyst transfer of knowledge between academia, major companies (GKN) and SMEs
- Increase the benefits of West Sweden's space efforts through increased competitiveness of the region's enterprises
University West is the main project owner. In addition, the project will collaborate with regional companies in the space industry, especially small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and global players in the manufacturing industry (primarily GKN Aerospace).
- Per Nylén
- Shrikant Joshi
- Nicolaie Markocsan
- Robert Pedersson
- Joel Andersson
- Jonas Olsson
- Mats Högström
- Lise Brox
- Patrik Johansson
- Henrik Amnell
2018-09-01 - 2022-12-31