Informatics with specialization in Work-integrated Learning
The thesis is piloted within a longitudinal action design research project between the Production Technology Centre (PTC) at University West and collaborating manufacturing companies in the south west of Sweden. The industry continuously need educated engineers for an effective manufacturing meanwhile the university aim to strengthen learners into a higher academic degree. This duality opens up spaces for collaborative activities of design within work-integrated learning and e-learning, here described as work-integrated e-learning, e-WIL. The aim is to explore competence development activities among the stakeholders; managers, teachers and learners (employees) in a design and implementation process of e-WIL courses in cross-organizational collaborations, here viewed as an expansive learning process.
Diverse challenges among the stakeholders and their home organizations emerge during the design process, for instance; competence mapping of engineering knowledge, digitalization of manufacturing learning content, didactical and pedagogical approaches for on-line learning, technological use, framing and defining target curricula and employees' disparate learning levels, as well as defining relevant cases (in the courses) for both theoretical and practical learning.
Technologies designed and used are learning management systems (LMS), web-meeting systems, instructional videos, applications for learning content production, and virtualization of labs. The results up til now, show a broad variation of industry readiness of taking part in these kinds of competence initiatives. Nine courses of 2.5 ECTS have been designed and implemented in the project and comprise knowledge within industrial automation, machining, mechanics/FEM and matematical statistics. Further development will continue in the project ProdEX - Expert in Production technology (in Swedish)
Main supervisor is Professor Lars Svensson, University West, School of Business, Economics and IT, assistant supervisors are PhD Lennart Malmsköld and Kristina Eriksson, Department of Engineering Science.
Publications - Journals:
- Hattinger, M., and Spante, M. (2016). Mediated and Situated Engineering Education - Teachers beliefs and experiences of digitalization of e-learning courses. In review for publication in Learning, Media and Technlogy, submitted in September, 2016.
- Hattinger, M., Eriksson, K., Malmsköld, L., & Svensson, L. (2014). E-learning Readiness and Absorptive Capacity in the Manufacturing Industry. International Journal of Advanced Corporate Learning (iJAC), 7(3), pp. 33-40.
Publications - Conferences:
- Hattinger, M., & Eriksson, K. (2015). Action Design Research: Design of e-WIL for the Manufacturing Industry. Paper presented at the Twenty-first Americas Conference on Information Systems, AMCIS, Puerto Rico, August 13-15, 2015.
- Hattinger, M., Spante, M., & Ruijan, D. (2014). Mediated and Situated Engineering Education. In Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2014, Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Hattinger, M., Eriksson, K., Malmsköld, L., & Svensson, L. (2014). Work-Integrated Learning and Co-creation of Knowledge: Design of collaborative technology enhanced learning activities. Paper presented at the 37th Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia (IRIS 37), Ringsted, Denmark, 10-13 August.
- Hattinger, M. (2014). Organisational E-learning Readiness for Technology Enhanced Competence initiatives in the Manufacturing industry. In Proceedings of ICELW, June 11th-13th, New York, USA.
- Hattinger, M., Christiernin-Gustafsson, L., & Eriksson, K. (2013). Digitizing work: Organizational Work-Integrated Learning through Technology Mediated Courses in Manufacturing Industry. Paper presented at the 18th WACE World Conference on Cooperative & Work-Integrated Education, June 24-27, 2013, Durban, South Africa.
- Nilsson, S., Hattinger, M., Bernhardsson, L., & Svensson, L. (2011). Designing the CloudBoard-an ICT tool for online tutoring in higher education. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference.
- Hattinger, M., & Treurnicht, N. (2011). Learning Aspects for Manufacturing Enterprises within Aerospace industry entering into Quality Standard AS9100. In proceedings of 24th ICDE World Conference on Open and Distance learning 2011, Nusa Dua, Bali.
- Hattinger, M., Hellsten, J.-O., & Lundh Snis, U. (2007). Lärcentrum-perspektiv och möjligheter: analys och praktik. Vol. Nationellt centrum för flexibelt lärande, ISSN 1652-3334 ; 2007:1.
- Snis, U. L., Bernheim, B.-G., & Hattinger, M. (2004). Towards a New Design Metaphor: Supporting Boundary Objects as Means of Knowledge Sharing in Community Networks. ECIS 2004 Proceedings, 169.
Publications in DiVa portal.