European seminar on refugees supporting diversity, inclusion and democracy
Hosted by Support Group Network (SGN), the Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions (SUHF), Committee for academic refugees, Institut français de Suède, and University West.
The aim of the seminar is for refugees together with university representatives to reflect jointly on initiatives, recommendations and guidelines supporting refugees for inclusion in different European countries. Additionally we will together evaluate the value for refugees in prioritizing recommendations to the higher education community.
The seminar adresses representatives from refugee organizations, university leadership, academic and administrative staff as well as policy makers.
The programme will mainly be held in a workshop format, but to inspire the discussions and the evaluations, a number of highly relevant and diverse initiatives will be presented in a short format (pitch). The seminar participants will also be able to bring their own initiatives and experiences to the workshops.
Moderator during the seminar is Cecilia Christersson, Chairman of the Committee for academic refugees, the Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions (SUHF), Vice-rector Malmö University
On 25 November, University West welcomes you to a dinner at Hotell Hehrne at 7 pm. Please, indicate in the registration form if you wish to participate.
9.00 – 9.30 Registration and coffee
9.30 – 10.15 Welcome
The Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions (SUHF), Committee for academic refugees - Support Group Network (Swedish Network of refugees), Institut Français de Suède and University West
- Cecilia Christersson, Chairman of the Committee for academic refugees, the Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions (SUHF), Vice-rector Malmö University
- Martin Hellström, Vice-chancellor, University West
- Sandrine Testaz, Attachée de coopération scientifique et universitaire, Ambassade de France/ Institut français de Suède
- Adnan Abdul Ghani, Initiator of Support Group Network (Swedish Network of refugees)
10.15 – 10.45 Inam Alghoul, Project manager “Strong Women Network, Project and project developer, Support Group Network: “From a refugee point of view – how can higher education work together with refugees to promote diversity, inclusion and democracy?”
10.45 – 11.00 Coffee break
11.00 – 12.00 Inspiring research and initiatives:
- Martin Hellström, Vice-chancellor, University West:
"Supporting diversity, inclusion and democracy through cooperation with Support Group Network"
- Wafa Triek, Deputy Head French ENIC-Naric:
European Qualifications Passport for Refugees/ERASMUS+ project (to be confirmed)
- Katarina Mozetič, Ph.D. candidate, University of Oslo:
"I cannot work in a supermarket: Some insights from a study on labour market expeiences of highly educated refugees"
- Mathieu Schneider: Vice-president, University of Strasbourg, coordinator of the network Migrants dans l’enseignement supérieur: "Migrants in higher education"
- Johanna Rasplus, Deputy Head of the European Projects, Campus France:
"InHERE Recommendations and Guidelines"
- Ragheb Aljaoor, Project manager, Support Group Network
12.00 – 13.00 Lunch
13.00 – 15.00 Two workshop on initiatives that supports refugees and migrants for inclusion in their new context.
The workshops will be inspired by a number of relevant initiatives in “a pitch format” (max. 5 minutes) + responses Support Group Network and from international refugees.
Workshop 1: Initiatives that support diversity, inclusion and democracy in higher education
- Samit Aita, Président de l'association "Démocratie et Entraide en Syrie, Ghosn Zeitoun
- Séverine Bortot, Director for international relations at Paris 8 university
- Karolina Catoni, University of Gothenburg: Inclusive internationalisation
- Frederik Sunnemark & Fredrik Sjögren, University West: Open seminars
- Sophie Adélaide Magnier, Director International Partnerships, projects, promotion & Internationalization, University of Grenoble Alps
- Jane Malcolm-Davies, University of Copenhagen: THREAD, a themed model for refugee integration using textiles as the catalyst for change
Moderator during workshop 1: Jan Theliander, Pro-vice-chancellor, University West
Workshop 2: Initiatives for validation and integration
- Annick Suzor-Weiner; Agence Universitaire de la francophonie: French courses and resumption of studies
- Carina Bäckström, Malmö University: Regional cooperation between different actors to support integration
- Emma Alfredsson, Lund University: Match-IT
- Pernilla Hultberg, University of Gothenburg: Targeted study counseling, and “Complementary education for migrants”
- Johanna Boynton, Stockholm University (to be confirmed)
- University of Jyväskula: Supporting Immigrants in Higher Education in Finland – SIMHE initiative (to be confirmed)
- Bilal Almobarak, Project manager / Support Group Network : " Informationsmöte för nyanlända med flyktingbakgrund"
Moderator during workshop 2: Hanne Smidt, Senior Advisor European University Association
15.00 – 15.15 Coffee break
15.15 – 16.00 Workshop continued – developing three recommendations to European governments based on the experience of refugee groups and higher education institutions working together.
16.00 – 16.30 Panel conclusions
LAST DAY OF REGISTRATION
15 November 2018. The seminar will accomodate 60 participants and accept registrations on a first come basis.