2. Pay tuition fee (if applicable)
3. Apply for visa (if applicable)
It is essential that you apply for a residence permit as soon as you have received your letter of admission. To be sure of obtaining your permit in time you should present your application and, if applicable, pay your tuition fee as soon as possible.
The fastest way to get a visa/residence permit is to apply online at the Migration Agency web pages and see to that the application is complete.
Processing visa applications takes time. Recommended deadline for visa application according to Migration Agency is
10 June for studies starting autumn semester
10 December for studies starting spring semester
4. Book accommodation and plan for your arrival
- All accepted international students will receive information by e-mail from University West on how to apply online for student accommodation. Follow the instructions and make sure to book your accommodation promptly once application is open.
Read more about student accommodation
- University West provides pick-up service on a set day, Arrival Day before start of each semester. In order to use this service, you have to submit an online arrival form.
Read more about arrival and getting here
5. Welcome information from University West - register for studies and create account
All international students will receive Welcome information from University West on how to create an account and how to register for programme/courses. The information will be sent to the e-mail address given in the application for studies.
Registration for your programme/courses is mandatory in order for you to start your studies. You register according to instructions in the e-mail from University West. If you do not register you will lose your place.
6. Create/Activate your student account
You must create a student account to reach all student systems and your student e-mail. Through your welcoming e-mail your will recieve instructions on how to create your student account. In order to create your student account, you will need to enter your personal identification number.
If you have been a student with us before, you should use your old account:
Should you need to activate your old account, or if you have forgotten your password, you go to My account and select "Unable to login".
7. Log in to Canvas
Through the learning platform Canvas you will get access to material, schedule, curriculum and list of literature related to the courses you are taking. Contact information for teacher and questions related to the course contents are also available here.
You log in to Canvas through My Page. In Canvas, you will also find contact information for teachers to whom you can turn for questions related to the contents on your course. For other questions, please contact ServiceCenter.
Your course is available on Canvas as from four weeks prior to course start, but please note that schedule for each course is published and finalized two weeks before the course starts, and may change before this.
Read more and log in to Canvas.
For general quesitons about your studies, contact ServiceCenter.
- You can find the schedule of your course through the learning management system Canvas.
- You can also search your schedule through the schedule system Kronox.
Your schedule is published and finalized two weeks before the course starts and may change before this.
Search schedule in Kronox
9. Course literature
- You can find the literature for your course on the learning platform Canvas.
- You can also serach for the course literature list through the course name or course code. Please note that the list of literature is finalized two weeks prior to course start and may change before this.
Search course literature
10. MyPage, e-mail etc.
At My Page you will find "Ladok-My studies" where you will be able to print certificates for your studies, register for courses, view your results, register for examination and verify or update your contact information.
- Through MyPage you can also access the course tool Canvas. Please note you should use Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Not Explorer or Edge.
Microsoft Office 365 is a platform for e-mail, calendar, file storage etc. It is important that you use your student e-mail as it is through this Univeristy West send most information to you.
More information before you start your studies
For more information on our IT-services, i.e. e-mail and WiFi, go to our web page on IT-introduction
University West arrange General Introduction Days for all international students at the start of the semester. Attendance is mandatory. Please read more about this at www.hv.se/en/introduction
Information for you who are a distance student
Related information and contacts