Work Integrated Learning
University West is Sweden’s leading university in work-integrated learning (WIL). We were tasked with the development of WIL by the Swedish government 15+ years ago and continue to lead the field today. This approach focuses on problem-based learning for industry and gives you access to real projects from partner companies and research centres.
Your courses and teachers are connected to the active research of Production Technology West (PTW), internationally recognised for work in production systems and processes in the manufacturing industry.
We built your specialisation in welding in close collaboration with corporate partners, who will provide you with insight and project work throughout your studies. Your training concludes with a thesis project you design and complete in collaboration with a company or within the PTW research group.
Linkage to an internationally-known organisation
The programme is harmonised with the International Welding Engineer (IWE) diploma, an internationally recognised welding education certified by the International Institute of Welding (IIW) through their national organisations. After passing the master's programme courses, you can earn an IWE certificate by taking an oral examination with the Swedish Welding Commission.
Prepare to make an impact
Are you passionate about making an ecological, economic and social impact in your career? The master’s programme is designed to educate welding professionals with the knowledge and attitudes required to promote companies’ technological transitions to a sustainable industrial and social environment.
Advanced laboratories and access to experts
As a production technology engineer with a specialisation in welding, you will have access to our Production Technology Centre (PTC) during your studies. PTC is one of the largest and most updated manufacturing laboratories in Sweden.
The PTC has been supporting the work of experts in production technology for over 15 years. This collaborative platform offers a unique collection of research technologies related to welding:
- Modern manufacturing processes
- Robotics and automation
- Electric vehicles
Examples of ongoing research projects at PTW
- Improved durability and reliability of lithium-ion battery welds (EMPIRE)
- High thermal inertia solar cavity receiver development (THIVAC)
- Additive Manufacturing of Actively Cooled Thermal Shields (AM-ACTS)
- Weld feasibility heat treatment studies of new superalloys (FEAST)
- POwDer Bed Fusion Additive Manufacturing of Metals for Gas Turbine Applications (PODFAM)
- Directed energy deposition for industrial competitiveness in additive manufacturing technologies (DEDICATE)
- Fusion welding processes, laser welding, friction stir welding (FSW), etc.
- Gleeble welding simulator and Varestraint testing
- Advanced materials testing and characterisation laboratory equipment
Academic and corporate connections
The PTC is home to University West’s research area Production Technology West (PTW). Here you will have the opportunity to do research together with experienced researchers, engineers and technicians in the field of production engineering. There are many companies linked to our research environment. As a student, you will have the opportunity to be part of cutting-edge research and come into contact with future employers.
Project with industry or research centre
You will complete your master’s thesis project in collaboration with your choice of the following:
- A multinational, regional or specialised local manufacturing company
- Production Technology West
Your master’s thesis project will include:
- Joint supervision from one industry expert and one university expert (one supervisor if your project is within the PTW)
- Degree project with scientific questions based on the needs of the company/centre
- Regular meetings for discussion of project progress and supervisor feedback
- Oral presentation on methods, technical outcomes of data processing and conclusions of the project, discussed with supervisors and classmates
- Critical response including a peer-review of a colleague’s project
- Written scientific report reviewed by supervisors before final submission
A strong job market
Welding technologies are utilised across a wide range of industries. There is a growing market for welding professionals due to the evolution of advanced technologies, such as increasing automation and adoption of robotic welding, and embedded technologies like sensors and the Internet of Things.
The global market for welding and cutting equipment is expecting annual growth of 4.7% from 2020 to 2028. Additionally, the American Welding Society predicts an anticipated need for 314,000 new welding professionals by 2024. As a result, welding professionals can anticipate having their choice of jobs across many industries and in many countries upon completion of their master’s degree.
The job market for production technology engineers is extremely good. There are both Swedish and global initiatives to support the development of welding technologies, since they are strategically important to developing a socially and ecologically sustainable future. As a specialist in this rapidly expanding field, you will have many options: advanced research in academia or a career in industry, both in Sweden and abroad.
Specialised and personal
University West offers an intimate campus environment without the usual barriers between academic staff and students. Here, your professors are easily accessible to answer questions, hold discussions and provide individual feedback. The teacher-to-student ratio is higher than at most comparable programmes at other universities.
While large universities have several focus areas, University West’s small size and high quality allow us to focus on and dedicate resources to a few prioritised/selected areas, such as production technology and processes. This ensures a high-quality programme as well as a warm and friendly atmosphere.
Students from around the globe come together to create a unique and international environment. Your programme is fully taught in English, and you will study together with students from Sweden as well as international students from countries in Asia, Europe, Africa and North and South America.
Most of your instructors also have international experience in both research and education. This will enhance your cultural experience and English-language proficiency.