Go to top
Technical Drawing and CAD, 5 credits
This course is a basic course in CAD and technical drawing (also known as engineering drawing). The topics covered in this course are as follows.
Computer-aided design (CAD):
- Introduction to engineering drawing that include; why we need technical drawing, what is the use of technical drawing, Use of thecnical drawing in diferent engineering fileds and historical aspect of technical drawing.
- Process of creating engineering drawings from given 3D objects.
- Visualisation of 3D objects from 2D engineering drawings.
- The theory behind standard orthographic projection methods (First Angle and Third Angle projections) used in engineering drawings.
- Standards in engineering drawing: View placing, Line types, lettering, Dimensioning, Geometric dimension and tolerance, Section views, Threads and screws.
- Introduction to CAD that include; history of CAD and importance of modern day CAD in engineering applications.
- Solid modelling theory: Topology definition, Data structures, Modelling strategies and basic rules, Exchange of CAD model data and file types, model assemblies.
- 3D CAD model creation using engineering drawings. This includes: Creation of 2D sketches, Dimensioning and using geometric constraints in 2D sketches, Creating 3D components using 2D sketches, Assembly of multiple mechanical components to achieve the desired functionality of the overall assembly.
- Creating detailed 2D engineering drawings (component drawing and assembly drawings) using 3D CAD models.
General entry requirements
You also need: Physics 2, Chemistry 1, Mathematics 3c or Mathematics D
PACE OF STUDY
TYPE OF INSTRUCTION
16 October 2023