ARCONIC Bestwig is already engaged in a LUFO project (2016 – Dec 2019) where they improve their capability in precision casting process for aerospace parts in titanium with new shell technology, new HIP supplier and improved simulation of the process in order to increase their capability with regard to component size and geometric complexity. ARCONIC have asked if GKN could share relevant jet engine geometries and support ARCONIC with “design for castability” activities. GKN has a strong interest in developing a European supplier of more complex structural titanium castings. Today the market for castings for engine structures is dominated by US suppliers.
The purpose of the proposed project is to:
- Develop design-for-casting methodology
- Make use of unique casting facility in Germany
- Extend the casting simulation capabilities for at Swerea SWECAST to titanium alloys
- Further strengthen the titanium materials competence at University West, arena PTC.
- Strengthen the joint position of GKN Aerospace and ARCONIC as a natural partners/suppliers of complex titanium compressor structures, that will lead to business with the engine OEMs globally
The project will answer the following important questions:
- How to tailor a titanium structure design to optimize castability, minimize casting defects, reduce weight and improve surface finish.
- Investigate the relationship between casting parameters, mechanical properties, microstructure and defects
Forskningsmiljö / Institution
Produktionsteknik Väst, PTV
Institutionen för ingenjörsvetenskap